Friday, December 24, 2010

A Holiday Thought...

Please pardon the typos, Ive had a couple seven drinks of my family's traditional holiday egg nog recipe.  It goess something like this:

A good four fingers of scotch
Thats it.

Anything els goes in that glass and youre an animal.  A splash of water "to activate the taste?"  Why not just teabag the 25 year single malt, same thing.

But moving on...

As I sit here on the eve of the day a bunch of toga Roman dudes decided to celebrate Jesus' birth 1700 years ago, I can't help but wonder about what humanity has done in those 1700 years.  That Roman empire that picked late December because it matched up nicely to sun worshipers and other pagan traditions fell, other empires took its place.  They fell.  The dark ages, Irish monk transcriptions saving ancient history, the plague, the Renaissance, stuff in China I assume, the Industrial Revolution, American independence and the start of American Exceptionalism that still totally exists so screw the haters, world wars, space, and now the internet.  A marvel so wondrous that I can use it to both window shop escorts and watch NORAD track Santa.

Which leads me to this evening's thought.  If NORAD's watching Santa... who's watching the Russians?  Just try and have "and to all a good night" with that on your mind.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to try not to pass out so I can stand in front of my windows naked when the internet says Santa is over my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment