So after my fifth Jameson on the rocks this morning, I decided to finally muster the courage to start this journey. A dear friend, whose name I can't recall at the moment, posed an important question while wearing nothing but one of my dress shirts as she fixed herself an omelette. Do I chronicle my journey in a personal blog or as part of a larger Facebook profile? My retort of "why are you still here?" seemed to get lost in the sizzle of sauteed peppers for said omelette.
Truth be told, the question hadn't occurred to me, so I should be thankful in part. I had always assumed some kind of blog, which also assumes that "blog" is actually a word, was the way to go, but I decided to research Facebook just to put in due diligence.
According to the tagline for the recent film. The Social Network, you don't get to 500 million friends without making a few enemies, with 500 million being the operative phrase here. The potential exposure that comes built in to a Facebook profile is very attractive to say the least. Given that, I decided to look further into who those 500 million people would be.
Well, it turns out the secret to Facebook's success was combining masturbation with the mundane, and apparently jerking off to deathly boring aspects of life was one of the most untapped markets in the history of modern ideas. At the same time, the obvious simplicity of the idea had me slapping my forehead for not coming up with it first. That lead me to conduct the following non-scientific experiment.
Take the following: I just clipped my toenails. On a blog, that inane bit of information filters out into the online universe and passes through an infinite space of indifference, as most blogged information should. It's the tree falling in the forest with no one there to hear. On Facebook, I had people "Like this" with little thumbs up icons, other people responded with posts such as "ME TOO!!! LOL!!! ;-)." Within twenty minutes, a "Friend" of mine started the Facebook group I JUST CLIPPED MY TOENAILS LOL. Twenty minutes after that, the group had 400,000 members and I had 800 new "Friend" request simply from the residual aftershock of being the original "I just clipped my fingernails" poster. Now I have the option of becoming a fan of I JUST CLIPPED MY TOENAILS to complete this online circle of sadness.
I've been down that Facebook rabbit hole, my friends, and I didn't like what I saw. Also, is there some Facebook policy preventing naked pictures? Because after spending most of the day clicking through people's albums, I really didn't like what I saw. Not sure what kind of self-promotion doesn't involve nudity... something I'll correct on this blog as soon as I figure out how to upload pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment