Monday, January 10, 2011

Damn you, Interwebs

As you can guess from my early entries on this blog, I'm a bit of an internet neophyte, and I'm constantly amazed that I can instantly stream some really tasteless, hardcore stuff with a picture quality that puts my vast, but aged, VHS collection to shame.

What I find difficult about internet video is how frequently a clip ends just as it gets to something interesting.  With the aforementioned streams, I can usually sate my curiosity by entering my credit card number, but I'm at a loss when I run into a situation like this:




Obviously I have an interest in writing, which implies an interest in a narrative as a general concept.  Here we have a situation established... family at the door eavesdropping.  A mailman arrives to allow a character the chance to verbally explain the entire set up which otherwise makes no sense and strains all logical credibility.  As a fan of allowing characters the chance to have to explain everything going on to salvage any sense, I applaud this ad's efforts.

Then my nightmare begins.  The video feed cuts off, no one asks for my credit card number, and now I'll never know how this well-meaning family resolved their nonsensical dilemma arbitrarily created to shill products that I could very well want to defecate money away on.  I have a lot of money, I like to defecate it away whenever I can, and nothing has proven more valuable to that pursuit than TV advertising.

So I say to the interwebs, please... if you start to show something, have the stones to see it to the end.  At the very least, let me pay you to have the stones to see it to the end.

The clip also had a brief mention of my nemesis, Sarah Palin, before that charming family vignette began.  Before I started this blog, I never expected to side against her, but she's embraced two things I've talked about here before, fat chicks and Facebook.  I'm not sure what she had to do with the unspeakable tragedy the gentleman in the video was addressing, but since Sarah Palin often has nothing to do with anything that she shoves her uninformed, social-media fueled thoughts on, I thought a little unfair tit for tat was in order.

You want to use Facebook (seriously... what self-respecting politician - eh forget it) to make hay out of fiction like Death Panels?  How about we use Facebook to make a little logically unfounded hay for you?



As a champion defender against the dangers of strawmen, I'm sure you'll appreciate a little taste of strawman vengeance.

1 comment:

  1. In all seriousness...

    There's nothing I can say about this weekend's horrific assassination attempt of Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families.

    When something this unspeakable happens, I always hope that some sliver of good comes from the event. It doesn't change the tragedy, nothing can, but the least we can do as surviving members of the human race is to reflect on the event and hopefully become better, more moral, kinder people.

    Again, my condolences to the victims and their families.

    ReplyDelete